Sunday, February 15, 2009

it's enough to make kings and beggars bond...

The circle of life. Or at least parts of it have been on my brain lately. Kinda been the theme of my the last month or so for me. Like I said, vday would have been my nana's birthday. She passed away way back when I was like 5 (about 2 weeks after her bday, its weird how that happens isn't it?)and it was probably my first real experience with death. As young as I was I understood it completely, I used to be kinda sad on valentines days afterwards, then I just decided to celebrate them and enjoy a fun day to show those around you how much you care about them. I don't really think of valentines as even a romantic holiday much less the hugely hyped capitalist blah blah blah that it is now. Just a day to splurge on candy. (Next blog will be how UNromantic I am lol. I literally got an ex the most commitmentphobic card I could find. At like 11:30 the night before, lol. And I dumped him on easter. After he did the egg hunt with the kids. While I slept on the couch. Because i'd partied til 7am the night before. Without him. Yeah I'm an asshole.)

So this has been building up a little bit, my bff from junior high just lost her grandma last week. Because my friend got married last yr, we've basically been having a year long party since her engagement. There were engagement, and halloween, and christmas, and new years parties, bridal showers, bachelorettes, and artsncraft parties, so there were many chances to get together and celebrate life. Her grandad joked that he'd seen more of me in a few months than in the 12 years I've known the family. Last summer, after my friend graduated from college, we found out her grandmother had cancer. I've really felt like they have treated me like a part of their fam over the years and my heart went out to them. She got much worse as her birthday and christmas came up and last month they moved her to hospice.she was a really cool woman. I got to be around her a lot just hanging with the family and I knew she loved and supported her girls. I guess it kinda hit me hard cuz I've been where they are. I really felt for my friend and her sisters, as well as their mom, and grandad.

Last week while I was attending that funeral, my grandad called to tell us his barber had died of a heart attack. He went into the shop saturday mornin like he's been doing at least 30 yrs and when he asked for the guy they told him his barber had a heart attack at home earlier that week. I know you're wondering what that has to do with me, but this dude was practically MY childhood barber. And considering little black girls don't get their hair done @ the barbershop, its saying something that he meant so much to me. When I was little I probably went to his shop every week between my grandad going there to get his hair cut or going with my cuzin/bestestbud/practically big brother, Sam. He was always nice to me and let me watch cartoons while I waited. His shop was litterally next door to my great grandmothers house. My parent's first home was actually between the two but we lost it in a fire. We moved away from town over 10 yrs ago, but everytime we went back, if we were near the neighborhood, we'd stop in and say hi. There were times I didn't even tell family I was in town, but i'd still stop in to say hi. He'd always ask my grandad how I was doing, or tell the story of how I had an imaginary friend named 'sam-ray' when I was like 3 and it took them all forever to realize it was my cuz sam.

It probably sounds stupid that I'm getting emotional even now just writing this. Oh well. I'm really grateful that I was able to grow up with that small town feel and sense of community. I mean there are people who aren't even related to me that were integral parts of making what I am today. I still know my 1st grade teacher, she's sorority sisters with my grandmother; her daughter went to school with my aunts, and she threatened to come down here and whup me when my college grades dipped!

Like I said I'm just grateful for these people who care about me and they seriously give me all the more motivation to succeed. In what? I'm still tryna figure that out lol. But when I do, for all the aunts, and grandparents, and cuzins I'll thank, there'll be space as well for the teachers and barbers :) it really does take a village.

rip to lawerence, K's grandma, and my cuzin deedee

No comments:

Post a Comment